Closing date - 29 May 2022
We are looking for someone to join our organisation who is passionate about equality and representation. You will be looking for an opportunity to contribute to creating positive change within the arts and culture sector.
You’ll have an interpersonal approach that helps you to engage and inspire others, both within and outside of the organisation. You’ll have a deep knowledge and understanding of the change-makers and thought-leaders within the City of Manchester who can inspire us in our ambitions.
Every two years, we capture our ambitions for a programme of equalities work in an Action Plan. Achieving these actions will ensure we are an organisation that is open and equitable. We believe that all the people that engage with us as an organisation - our artists, communities, audiences, interns, apprentices, and volunteers – should be treated fairly and equally.
Our Equalities & Representation Action Plan captures all the actions that we consider will have a material impact on who we are as an organisation. It is a guiding document, rather than a defining one. As events of the last couple of years have taught us, remaining open and adaptable in our equalities work ensures we meet the most important needs in this area.
The Action Plan underpins our values as an organisation. We expect the Plan to be everyone’s responsibility to deliver, and this role will play a supporting role to help shape and achieve it.
You will be responsible for supporting the organisation in achieving its overall DEI ambitions and in some instances working directly to deliver some of the cross-cutting organisational actions relating directly to creating an inclusive workplace culture.
The role reports directly into our HR Director who has accountability for delivering areas of the plan relating to our people and workplace culture, and who also Chairs our Equalities Advisory Group.
The role will work collaboratively within the People & Culture team, whilst also maintaining a supportive working relationship with colleagues across MIF/The Factory to harness and help develop the overall programme of Equalities.
You will also maintain a close working relationship with the Director of Finance and Resources who is the Executive Champion for Equalities, and Chair of the Equalities Leadership Group.
Within the existing Equalities Performance and Accountability Framework, the role will have responsibility within two key groups:
- Chair of the Equalities Leadership Group that collectively has accountability for delivering the Action Plan.
- Member of the Equalities Advisory Group that has responsibility for reviewing and developing our organisational documentation, including policies and aspirational statements around our DE&I work.
Within the People & Culture team the role will be key to delivering a range of actions that include:
- Identifying and coordinating induction sessions for all new starters ensuing a shared understanding of our values and organisational culture
- Co-ordinating a programme of education and awareness sessions for staff that responds to the needs of the Equalities Representation Groups (ERGs)
- Co-ordinate the delivery of our proprietary training framework around Cultural Competency
- Undertake people surveys around equalities and organisational culture, and evaluate and deliver feedback and results to the organisation
- Promote, manage, and maintain the reciprocal mentoring scheme
- Analyse and report data and insights around representation to make recommendations for adjustments back to the organisation
- Have ownership alongside ERGs and Leadership Group for successful delivery of sector leadership and advocacy actions, including attendance at key events and conferences where required
- Passionate about Equality and Representation and how to apply this to organisational change
- Knowledge of current legislation and good practice relating to Equality and Representation
- Empathetic and understanding approach to sensitive issues
- Strong time-management and self-organisation skills with a deadline driven approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in providing practical solutions to remove barriers and implement change within an organisation
- Experience of working within a similar of Equalities in the arts and culture sector